Tuesday, December 13, 2011

An EMU interaction

First, it's pronounced EEM-yoo. EMU is a manufacturer for all kinds of stuff like suede jackets and wool boots. Their boots look much like the UGG-style boots, but they're slightly cheaper. I bought a pear of  them last winter, retail price $99. I paid $79.20, but that's another story. A lot happened since then but basically I had issues with them. Here is the first email I sent to EMU: 

Last winter I bought the Women's Nelly Boot in black suede. I wore it maybe 15 times and I am extremely disappointed with what happened. You see, there is a hard seam running down the whole back of the boot, from the inside. The fur lining covers that but if you press your finger onto the fur, you can definitely feel that thick seam. After wearing it a few times, the lining (the white puffy fur/wool) became more matted down (which, I was told, is normal) and now the seam is totally coming through. It's so uncomfortable and the seam is digging straight into the back of my foot and giving me red bruises. This is not what I expected when I shelled out over $90 for "quality" boots. Something is wrong here. It's winter season again and I would have definitely bought another pair had this not happened. Now I'm stuck with uncomfortable and unwearable boots which have no use. Please tell me what can be done about that. 

After TWO weeks I get a reply saying that I need to officially fill in this whole complicated-looking claim form. The form had me provide pertinent and not-so-pertinent information, along with several photographs of the boots, the soles, and the area that has the problem. Ever try sticking a 18-55mm lens down the shaft of a boot to the heal? It doesn't work. I had to roll the boot shaft down and then use my feet and hands to keep it in place while I shot the picture. I completed the form and sent it back with my photos. A week later, which was today, I receive a nice email that totally overjoyed me: We have reviewed your case. Unfortunately, we no longer manufacture this product. We will be sending a replacement of similar value today.

That's no problem for me! She then sent me a link with a picture of the new boots and I must say they're quite acceptable. More than acceptable even. I can't wait to receive them! What do we learn from this, readers? Complaining gets you someplace, when you do it right :)

3 comments:

  1. I started doing that lately. It's a whole new experience for me.

    I usually just try to find a way to glue on a pair of heel pads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heel pads wouldn't work as the issue here is not on the sole of the shoe, but rather the back edge, where you tendons would be. I should take a minute to mention that these boots are really floppy inside and are as unsupportive as today is Thursday, so I had to fit them with Powerstep full-length arch support insoles. They work beautifully for one season's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: my new boots arrived on Friday and they look perfect. EMU boots are now produced under a different line called Ukala Sydney. Instead of a thick rubber sole, the sole is now made out of a super-lightweight foam, which I can't decide if I favor or not. It'll erode much faster but at the same time, it's easier on the foot when the boot isn't heavy. Also, there is that same seam in the back but I hope the wool won't flatten enough.

    ReplyDelete