Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Afrin - Nasal Decongestant Spray

Pros:
  • Works within a minute - really!
  • One dosage lasts for 10-12 hours
  • Relieves nasal congestion and stuffiness better than oral decongestant pills.
  • Minimal (but often none) side-effects.
Cons:
  • If used for more than a few consecutive doses, there's a rebound effect (you feel even stuffier). 
  • Smallest size bottle (which is tiny) costs approximately $10.
  • Leaves slight aftertaste in mouth once it drips down (which is easily alleviated by taking a drink).
  • Painfully tingles for a few minutes after spraying.
Bottom Line: Afrin (Oxymetazoline) nasal spray is used to relieve nasal discomfort caused by colds, allergies, and hay fever. It can also be used to relieve sinus congestion and pressure. Basically, you are getting your money's worth when you buy this item and have a need for it. It's perfect for colds, especially during the night when you have trouble falling asleep because you can't breath. Remember, though, that Afrin is a steroid (but over-the-counter) so don't use it more than you have to or you'll feel even worse after! Afrin can also be used before a plane trip if you anticipate ear pain because it clears the nasal/ear/sinus passages.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this one! Although I've never tried it before, I'll keep it in mind if I need it this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mazel tov! I've been waiting for a new post :-).

    This is so good to know. I never thought sprays work. I hope I won't need it but if I do, I'm glad to know what to turn to :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell that I, for one, wouldn't have made it through last night without Afrin. Within mere seconds I was suddenly able to breathe oxygen in through my nose! What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also use Afrin if you have nosebleeds. I remember going to the pharmacy on PESACH when I was younger to get it for my granfather who had the granddaddy of nosebleeds at the seder.
    I get nosebleeds too and the ENT told me to use Afrin too, at least 10 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beheima, thanks for the tip. When you go the ENT and they look up your nose with this camera-attached-to-a-pipe thingie, they first give you this awesome decongestant spray. In 2 seconds, you feel like you can breathe in gallons of air with one sniff. Afrin comes in a close second to whatever it is that they use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently got over a really bad cold/sinus infection and bought this spray in the beginning, hoping that this would be my salvation. I don't know what I did wrong, but it DID NOT work. I felt doubly terrible because a family member ran out to buy it for me because I was feeling miserable and then it didn't make me feel any better. I was quite disappointed, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear that! Did you follow the directions perfectly? Did you use 3 sprays in each nostril (that worked for me). What did you experience that made you understand it did not work?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi guys,
    This post is very useful and very interesting to read, Really this post is providing nice information,Keep it up.
    Nasal Decongestant

    ReplyDelete