Monday, September 13, 2010

Google Chrome web browser

Pros:
  • Faster than Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer.
  • Address bar doubles as a Google search box so you can input websites or search terms.
  • No extra buttons to distract or confuse you.
  • You can decorate your borders and tabs with themes.
  • Features "incognito tabs" that let you browse "off the record".
  • Is available in a Mac version.
Cons:
  • Not compatible with certain secure website features. 
  • Updates automatically so you never know when to expect something new.
  • Many add-on toolbars that work for FF and IE don't install in Chrome.
Bottom Line: For fast everyday browsing, Chrome is the best way to go. Of course you'll encounter some incompatibility while using certain websites, but IE also has its own share of weird compatibility problems. If you stumble upon a site where something loads improperly, you can always switch to another browser. Chrome is great because of its dual-purpose address bar. You can use it to type in a web address (like "swagbucks.com") or you can fill in search terms (such as "ways to earn money"). Try searching like that in IE or FF and you'll get strange errors.

8 comments:

  1. Haha, I should've seen this coming! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halfshared, definitely! I got all in a tizzy because of this unwarned change that I met with this morning.

    Rachelli, you must rock! If you like Chrome, you're like me. And I rock. I use both the Mac and PC versions, that's how loyal I am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's swagbucks? lol
    I'm surprised you didn't include your referral link in this post. You weren't tempted?!

    I'll have to see if Chrome supports a certain add-on that I love that Firefox has: a pop-up blocker for specific ads which you can customize so that you don't see any of those not-so-nice advertisements...

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to Google Chrome's Help website:

    Google Chrome prevents pop-ups from automatically appearing and cluttering your screen. Whenever the browser blocks pop-ups for a site, the icon appears in the address bar. Click the icon to see the pop-ups that have been blocked or to manage pop-up settings for the site.

    so you should be good to go. Very rarely do see popups on my screen. In the options area, you can customize to allow certain sites' popups to appear or not appear.

    You just gave me the idea to review Swagbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm talking about the Ad Block Plus which allows you to choose your own ads to block-like the ones on Yahoo! which have pictures that I'd rather not look at...

    I think you'd be happy to hear that I downloaded Google Chrome tonight and after searching around, I found the download to Ad Block Plus which is compatible with Chrome. You can get it too by clicking on this link.

    I'm glad I gave you the idea. I thought it was on your list of "waiting to be posted" blog posts! I'm sure it'll bring you lots of referrals too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of that. I don't mind if all ads are blocked, to be quite honest! Glad you became a Chrome convert. You'll see lots of cool differences between this browser and your previous one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm not ready to be called a Chrome convert just yet :-) I'm still testing out the waters (and going back to my other browsers to see how they work...shhh...)but maybe one day I'll be fully "changed over"!

    I do like what I've seen so far, it moves fast, shows the last sites visited...the main thing is the speed, it really moooves!!

    ReplyDelete