Sunday, May 29, 2011

Recent case studies (Gloating opportunities)

This post will highlight some of the most recent incidents where I've practiced what I preached. Maybe you can learn a thing or two (I certainly did), or perhaps you'll find some motivation to make that overdue phone call to Amazon. Here's what happened:
  1. I am a longtime buyer of Dole Cole Slaw that comes in a bag. You buy the stuff, add your dressing, and voila: you got yourself an excellent cole slaw (if you use my recipe, that is). Lately I noticed that the shredded cabbage pieces are very large. In fact, each piece was about 3-5 times larger than it has been in the past. I decided I'm going to call Dole. I issued my comment (I did not want to make this a complaint) and the guy said, "Thanks for letting us know. As our way of thanking you, we'll send you some coupons for replacement products." 
  2. On Friday I called Nestle (who owns Wonka candy) with a simple question: Why do they not produce the Tangy Taffy bars with crystal-like glitter on top, like they have in the past? The woman explained to me that they DO still sell them, but only in the cherry flavor. As a way of thanking me for taking the time to inquire, she also said that she'll mail me some coupons for different candy products. 
  3. I received a photobook I had ordered from Shutterfly. I'm glad I carefully screened the pages because two of them had a mistake. The printing didn't bleed to the edge of the paper. I definitely did not have them appear like that in my project. So I called today and a woman with an unpronouncable name added to my account a credit for a free photobook and free shipping! So in essence, I got $37 just for calling! I am so excited so she didn't simply say, "Ok, we'll reprint your book for you." because this way I can make a NEW book! And my heart won't bleed from the non-bleeding pages.

4 comments:

  1. You're my hero, f'real :-).

    I didn't notice any problem with your photobook. It's a good thing you've got such a good eye for detail or you'd be short one free photobook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just develop a trained eye and you're good to go. Look out for another, very personal, post coming up shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock!!

    Here's one of my stories :-)

    Recently, Snapfish had a promotion going on for half off the entire site. I decided to sit down and develop a years worth of pictures, which is a LOT of pictures. By the time I was finished sorting through them all, I had over 250 pictures to develop.

    I started uploading the pictures and it looked like it was gonna take all night. The promotion was going to expire at 11:59 that night so it looked like I would lose out on this amazing deal.

    So, I called Snapfish, explained my problem and the rep (from India or somewhere nearby) said the only thing he can offer was a 30% off code. But I explained to him that I shouldn't lose out - their site is taking a long time to upload
    all my pictures and by the time it's done the promotion would have expired.

    So, he gave me a reference number for the phone call and said that once I place my order, I should give Snapfish a call and I will be refunded 50% of whatever I paid!

    Wohoo for customer service!

    To top it all off, I also searched around for a free shipping code which I got since my order was over $20. That was before my refund - so I paid $13 and change for over 250 pictures, printed and shipped!

    Thank you iRiR for giving me the "push" to make this call - you see, they really DO want you to be a satisfied customer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's an awesome case study that you shared! I'm glad you posted this so others, including myself, can see what you stand to gain by just exercising your rights as a buyer.

    P. S. Next time you want to print 1,200 pictures (600 4x6 and 600 5x7) you can try this deal from Arts Cow, though I'm not sure when this deal expires.

    https://www.artscow.com/free1200.html

    ReplyDelete